Job Title: Equine Welfare and Education Co-ordinator
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Closing Date for Applications: 5.00p.m Friday 31st of August 2018
Main purpose: The overall purpose of this position is to develop and co-ordinate equine welfare and educational programmes based on evidence based practice and research in order to promote ethical and practical management of all equines for whom Festina Lente is responsible. The Equine Welfare and Education Co-Coordinator will be required to exercise leadership, competency and a high degree of creativity and flexibility in providing a variety of educational and learning programmes to all those who engage with the equines that live at Festina Lente.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The principal duties and responsibilities include:
- Equine Welfare
- To keep abreast of relevant research relating to equine welfare – in particular research relating to equines who are involved in a Riding School e.g. peer reviewed articles, published articles, conferences, etc.,
- To maintain assessment and progression records of equine behavioural programmes in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff
- To promote a culture based on Equitation Science Principles (ESP) amongst all those who interact with equines living at Festina Lente in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff see: https://equitationscience.com/about/ises-training-principles
- To develop an annual plan to promote a culture based on ESP in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff
- To work with specific equines in addressing particular behavioural problems in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff
- To develop an annual communications, plan to promote a culture based on ESP through Festina Lente social media and other communications media in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff e.g. liasing with Festina Lente Website and Facebook Co-ordinators
- To consolidate equine welfare practices within Festina Lente in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff
- To develop an annual educational programme in conjunction with coaches and other relevant staff members
- To contribute to the overall equine welfare programme in conjunction with all staff and significant others
- Interaction with People
- To liaise with coaches and other relevant staff on a variety of ESP educational approaches for maximum use with the different groups within Festina Lente e.g. (ETP students, Riding School clients, volunteers, helpers)
- To work with coaches and other relevant staff relating to supports that can be made available in order to promote ethical horse welfare and management
- To develop relationships with external agencies and institutions involved in equine welfare and management research and programmes
- To carry out administrative tasks in consultation with the CEO to ensure smooth running of the programme
- To comply with the Health and Safety requirements of the organisation and of legislation
- To attend staff meetings and training as required
- To build and maintain excellent working relationships with all those involved in Festina Lente and with outside agencies and /or academic institutions
- To represent the organisation at appropriate events and to demonstrate professionalism, while reflecting the mission and values of the organisation
- To manage computer records, and use IT resources to produce reports and maintain the social networking site for equine welfare and education
- To evaluate the equine welfare and educational programmes an annual basis
- This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances or requirements
The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
- An appropriate third level qualification and/or relevant work experience in related field e.g. equine science, equine psychology,
- Experience of working with a variety of people in an equestrian and/or academic context
- Proven experience of working within a team structure and a strong ability to self-manage in a dynamic and active environment
- Experience of employing competent and efficient problem solving and decision making skills
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven experience of establishing and managing relationships with key stakeholders, through networking and ongoing communications
- Committed to encouraging continuous improvement and learning
- Manage your own workload effectively while responding creatively and flexibly to new demands.
- Have the capacity to integrate well with, and contribute to, an evolving organization
- Experience of applying ESP principles
- Proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to suit the needs of different groups of people
- An ability to maintain calm and composed in a busy and demanding environment
- An ability to multitask and adapt to change as a feature of the working day
- High level of energy and an ability to sustain a very active role
- Confidence in one’s own strengths and ability
- Self-motivated with excellent leadership skills
- Willingness to learn and an openness to alternative approaches
- An ability to respond professionally, diplomatically and patiently to the implementation of all educational and learning programmes
- Highly organised, with a high level of concentration and attention
- Committed to working hard
- Proven ability to work on own initiative within a flexible, co-operative team structure
- Solution focused
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Committed to on-going self and professional development
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary: €28,000 per annum pro rota to 19.5 hours per week i.e. €14,000
Pension: Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Hours: 19 .5 hours per week
Travel & Subsistence: There will be a requirement from time to time to travel outside normal working hours. A fleet of vehicles is available however; travel will be paid in accordance with Festina Lente travel rates in the event that your own personal vehicle is needed.
Annual Leave: Annual leave will be 22 working days pro rata, exclusive of public holidays. Compulsory annual leave will apply to facilitate closure of services for service user holidays. Annual Leave is taken during Easter, August and Christmas and you may be required to provide cover in the equestrian yard on a Public Holiday. This day (if required) will be given back to you within fourteen working days.
Duration of contract: This contract is a permanent contract
Location of the position: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow. Any change in location will notified to you in advance.
HOW TO APPLY
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Jill Carey at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 01 272 0704 (ext.204)
Application forms can be found on our website http://festinalente.ie/about-us/job-vacancies/festina-lente-job-vacancy-application-form/ .
Please email Catherine Buckley email@example.com if you have any queries.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time. The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document. A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
INTERVIEWS: Friday 14th of September 2018
Please Note:The Interview will consist of two parts: The formal interview will consist of a panel interview and the second part will be a practical assessment in line with ESP
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description. A panel may be formed from this process.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society