Job Title: Equestrian Training Programme Facilitator
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: You will report to the Training & Day Services Manager on all training programme and learner related activities.
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Main purpose: To work with the Training and Day Service Manager and the Equestrian Training Programme Team in the delivery of an Equestrian Training Programme to people with additional learning support needs with an emphasis on person centered planning and personal growth and development.
Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 6th June 2018
JOB DESCRIPTION: Your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
1. To assist in implementing the Equestrian Training Programme, as outlined in the programme descriptor, in conjunction with the Equestrian Training Programme Staff and Training and Day Service Manager
2. To assist in managing the delivery of the programme, including all yard based activities, QQI modules and other activities as set out in the programme timetable
3. To supervise, manage and support a team of learners on the equestrian yard ensuring the safety and welfare of learners and horses, while supervising a variety of stable and yard tasks
4. To deliver QQI training modules at level 4 on the National Framework of Qualifications, in conjunction with SOLAS and in accordance with the QQI validated programme descriptor
5. To ensure that learners have an opportunity to engage in fair and consistent assessment for the purpose of achieving the named QQI awards
6. To maintain and update training and assessment records for learners in line with the QQI accredited Quality Assurance Programme and the SOLAS Training Standards System
7. To liaise with the Training and Day Service Manager in the planning and facilitation of work experience placements in the equestrian industry
8. To facilitate learners to engage in community based activities on a planned basis and to ensure the health and safety of learners during these off-site events
9. To facilitate interactions with equines, employing a model of natural horsemanship, as supported by the approaches and techniques developed by Festina Lente
10. To liaise with the Training and Day Service Manager in the monitoring and assurance of programme quality in order to apply consistently the quality assurance procedures set out by the SOLAS Training
Standards System and as agreed with QQI
11. To contribute towards the evaluation of the delivery of the training programme on an annual basis.
12. To act as an advocate for learners involved in the programme
13. To facilitate and evaluate person centred planning, in the form of individualised training plans
14. To liaise with learner’s family members/guardians and/or support persons
15. To liaise with other organisations/professionals as required
16. To liaise with the Riding School staff team to ensure the welfare of the horses
17. To comply with the Health and Safety requirements of the organisation
18. To attend staff meetings and training as required
19. To build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners & service users
20. This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing
circumstances or requirements
Other Duties will include:
• To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
PERSON SPECIFICATION: The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
• An appropriate third level qualification in a related field e.g. health and social services, disability management, allied health and social care, education and or special education/training etc.
• A qualification in adult education, preferably has completed Train the Trainer level 6 training
• Knowledge of BHS Stage 1 SM or equivalent i.e. QQI Horsemanship course
• Experience of delivering training to and supporting people with disabilities or those experiencing social and/or economic exclusion (minimum 3 – 5 years)
• Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in facilitating person centered planning
• Have experience of delivering quality assured training or educational programmes
• Experience of supervising and motivating people, ideally in an equestrian context
• Has a good knowledge of the theory of stable and yard management
• Enjoys the outdoor environment and be physically able and fit for the strenuous nature of the post
• Has experience and skills in relation to the safe handling of horses.
• Proven experience of working within a team structure and a strong ability to self manage in a dynamic environment
• Committed to on-going self and professional development
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and specific personal attributes- please see description below.
• Welcomes change and is committed to encouraging continuous improvement and learning.
• Manages your own workload effectively while responding flexibly to new demands.
• Has the capacity to integrate well with, and contribute to, an evolving organization
• Has a good knowledge of IT systems and is computer literate
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to suit the needs of individual learners
• An ability to maintain calm and composed in a busy and demanding environment
• An ability to multitask and adapt to change as a feature of the working day
• High level of energy and an ability to sustain a very active role
• Confidence in one’s own strengths and ability
• Willingness to learn and an openness to alternative approaches
• An ability to respond professionally and patiently to behaviours that challenge
• Highly organised, with a high level of concentration and attention
• Committed to working hard
• Proven ability to work on own initiative within a flexible, co-operative team structure
• Solution focused
• Ability to work to deadlines
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Salary: 7point scale: €28,218 – €34,944
Hours: 38.75 hour per week
Working Week: Monday to Friday
Working Hours: 08.00-16.30 with a 45minute unpaid lunch break at 1.00pm
Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Travel & Subsistence
There may be a requirement to travel to work outside normal working hours.
Annual leave will be 22 working days, exclusive of public holidays.
Compulsory annual leave will apply to facilitate administration of the academic term.
Annual Leave is taken during Easter, August and Christmas.
Employees are required to work Public Holidays on a rota basis. This does not affect your entitlement to leave for public holidays under the terms of the Part III of the Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 and time in lieu is facilitated in the event that a Public Holiday is worked.
Location of the position
Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date for Applications: Wednesday 6th June 2018
Application forms can be found here http://festinalente.ie/about-us/job-vacancies/festina-lente-job-vacancy-application-form/ .
Please email Catherine Buckley firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Sabrina Tierney at Sabrina.Tierney@festinalente.ie or phoning 01 272 0704 (ext.207).
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 13th June
Second interview will be held on Monday 18th June (as appropriate)
The Interview will consist of two parts: The formal interview will consist of a panel and the second part will be a practical assessment of your equestrian skills.
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description.
A file may be formed for future vacancies.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document.
A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society
Festina Lente Mission Statement
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are provided through the following:
• Equestrian Training Programme
• Transition Training Programme
• Festina Lente Riding School
• Equine Assisted Learning
• Equine Facilitated Education Programme
• Therapeutic Riding Service
• Saol Anois Day Service
• Festina Lente Gardens
Festina Lente was established in 1988 and over the years has developed a wide range of equestrian related activities to people of all ages, from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of learning styles. Central to this is the role of the horse and its’ capacity to facilitate each person in their preferred activity or programme.