Are you looking for fun volunteer work that will be meaningful, fulfilling and help make a difference?
Become a Volunteer at Festina Lente as we may be the perfect place for you!
Festina Lente charity is known for its work with humans, horses and horticulture, through a varied and innovative range of equine related and horticultural activities. We rely on our amazing team of dedicated, hard working and committed volunteers, who help us in all the different areas of work that we do.
As a non profit charity we welcome volunteers who can help us on a regular basis with our work in our stable yard, our walled Victorian gardens and grounds, our garden centre, cafe and gift shop, our administration offices and with general maintenance.
We also have volunteers who help us at our special events throughout the year like our fun dog shows, craft workshops, treasure hunts, tours of Festina Lente and gardening workshops.
Thank you for your interest in supporting our charitable work!
Volunteer Job Description & Application Criteria:
Volunteer shifts are a minimum of 3 hours and while we know that people’s circumstances do change we do ask that people try and commit to volunteering with us for a minimum of 6 months. All volunteers will need to be Garda Vetted and Garda Vetting must be completed before a volunteer can start with us in Festina Lente.
Volunteer Application Form
We are always looking for volunteers for the following areas:
Each year Festina Lente hosts a series of one day fundraising events. On these days we require help with jobs such as: erecting marquees; setting out tables and chairs; helping with arts & craft workshops, treasure hunts and other activities; running stalls; assisting with the dog show event; car park supervision; catering; registration; and interacting with visitors. Volunteers for our events must be age 16 or over and enjoying working with and helping children and adults.
Children’s Camps, Workshops & Parties
Our volunteers assist Festina Lente staff in delivering our range of fun and hands-on birthday parties, camps and workshops. They help to prepare the nature & craft workshops and cleanup, and supervise and help children with their projects. Volunteers for our Children’s Camps, Workshops & Parties must be age 18 or over and must have a genuine interest in arts & crafts, children’s entertainment, and working with people of all abilities.
All Volunteers for the Equestrian Centre must have experience working with horses and managing their care in a stable environment, have an interest in working with people of all abilities and are physically able to do this work. If you are aged between 12 & 18 you must either have experience or have completed our Equestrian Centre Helpers programme , after which you can become a Equestrian Centre helper. Please click here to read more about our Equestrian Centre Helpers Programme.
We are currently looking for volunteers for our Equine Assisted Learning and Outreach programmes. For more details, please see here.
Victorian Walled Gardens
Our Garden team volunteers help with day-to-day garden maintenance work, primarily weeding, edging, mulching, planting, cutting back and deadheading, bagging manure and more. As a Garden Volunteer there may be times when you will be asked to support other teams in the garden. Volunteers for our Victorian Walled Garden must be aged 16 or over and must have a genuine interest in gardening, working with people of all abilities and are physically able to do this work.
Garden Centre, Cafe & Gift Shop
Volunteers in our Shop team assist customers, update stock, water our outdoor plants and keeping seasonal plant displays in good condition. They help to maintain an organized and clean working environment, assisting with recycling. Volunteers for our Garden Centre, Cafe & Gift Shop must be age 16 or over and must have a genuine interest in gardening, working with people of all abilities and are physically able to do this work.
We are looking for volunteers with a sense of culture and history to assist with leading groups of 5 to 30 people through the 2.5 acre garden. Our guides interact with visitors, telling the history of the garden and the family who once lived on the estate. Ideally we are looking for volunteers with some knowledge of horticulture and who can answer questions on different areas of planting. Volunteers as a Tour Guide must be age 16 or over and must have a genuine interest in working with people of all abilities.
General Maintenance of the buildings and grounds of Festina Lente Foundation, helping us to maintain our beautiful grounds and keep our site running well. Volunteers for General Maintenance must be age 16 or over and have General Maintenance experience.
Volunteer Application Procedure
We warmly welcome and appreciate the value and support we get from our volunteers whose time and skills experience interests and enthusiasm help the Festina Lente Foundation fulfil its charitable aims. All volunteers will receive an induction and training in the relevant department.
- All applications must be made on our Volunteer Application Forms, click here to apply online to volunteer with Festina Lente. This allows us to have all information correctly filed; it also allows us to match expectations as closely as possible. People under the age of 18 years of age must list their parent or guardian’s contact details on their application form as permission will be required by them. Application forms that are not fully completed, signed and with all the relevant information will NOT be processed so please ensure to fill in all details correctly.
- Application need to be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to your desired start date. Please note, we are unable to have anyone volunteering with Festina Lente until the Garda Vetting is completed as per Irish legislation and that Garda Vetting may take between 20-60 days to be completed by the Gardai.
- On receipt of Volunteer applications, you can expect the following:
- A notification email will be sent of receipt of application. You may be requested to give additional information relating to your experience.
- You will be contacted by phone or email in relation to an informal interview
- You will be invited attend an informal interview
- You will be get notification of your acceptance if suitable or advice relating to training if needed.
- You will be emailed Garda Vetting Forms for you to fill in and send to us as soon as you can. Please note we are unable to have anyone volunteering with Festina Lente until Garda Vetting is completed as per Irish legislation and that Garda Vetting may take between 20-60 days to be completed by the Gardai.
- You will be sent the NVB1 form which you must post back or drop back to us. We will then send that for Garda processing.
- The gardai will then send you an email containing a link to the main form NVB2. Please keep an eye on your emails (including your junk email box) for the email from the garda as the link only works for 20 days.
- Please fill in all your details including your Eircode.
- The Gardai will then process your vetting application.
- When your vetting is completed by the Gardai we will get a notification that it is complete and your manager\supervisor in Festina Lente will be notified to contact you regarding your start date.
- On the first day, you will be invited to an induction with area supervisor.
We would ask that volunteers be able to volunteer for either a half day or full day on a regular basis with a commitment of a minimum of 6 months. Click here to read our Volunteer Policies
We request that all volunteers adhere to the dress code at Festina Lente. Volunteers should wear a navy or black polo shirt, navy or black jumper or fleece, comfortable sturdy outdoor boots and navy or black trousers or denim jeans or navy, cream or black jodhpurs if working in the riding school. All volunteers should have in their possession waterproof clothing, and jewellery is not permitted on the yard, garden or general maintenance areas. We do not recommend you bring any valuables to Festina Lente. Mobile phones are not permitted in any of the Equestrian Centre areas. You are required for Health and Safety reasons to wear reinforced safety boots in the Garden or if doing maintenance. We also recommend you wear appropriate gardening gloves while working with the soil.
Volunteer Application Form
If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
School or College Work Experience or Internships
If you are coming from a school or college for Work Experience and want to do 3 months or less work experience please click to apply here.
If you wish to do an internship for 3 months or more through a school or college please click here.