FESTINA LENTE MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are provided through the following:
• Equestrian Training Programme
• Transition Training Programme
• Festina Lente Riding School
• Equine Assisted Learning
• Equine Facilitated Education Programme
• Therapeutic Riding Service
• Saol Anois Day Service
• Festina Lente Gardens
Job Title: Part-time Retail Garden Shop Assistant (Pobal funded)
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: The Garden Manager, Festina Lente Enterprises
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday the 26th of May, 2019.
Main purpose: To provide retail shop cover in the Garden Centre together with duties in maintaining plants and plant displays in the Garden Centre.
The principal duties and responsibilities include:
• Being responsible for the opening and closing of the Garden Shop as required
• Preparing a cash float, ensuring credit card machine and donation boxes are in the shop each morning prior to opening.
• Taking a till reading at the end of each day ensuring it matches the cash amount taken.
• All shop bins are emptied and washed daily ensuring as much material is composted or recycled
• Greeting all customers and ascertaining what each customer needs or wants
• Being responsible for signing off on all deliveries. Arranging bar coding of delivered items.
• Maintaining records of sales.
• Purchasing of Stock for the Garden shop and ensuring that stocks are adequate and meet existing customer needs.
• Watching for and recognising security risks and thefts.
• Assist in creating and maintaining display of plants for sale. Monitoring and updating Sale Display Areas. Visual Merchandising.
• Answering questions regarding merchandise and advising customers about their plant choice selection and care of plants.
• Ensuring that all shop counters are cleaned down daily with particular care being given to the Beverage Station.
• Ensuring that garden seating / tables are washed down each morning, are cleaned during the day as vacated by customers and arranged in a welcoming manner. The gravel in this area to be kept weed and litter free.
• Monitoring Plant Orders, replacing stock as necessary and ensuring plants stocked are of the highest quality.
• Taking appropriate action to minimise stock loss
• Exchanging merchandise for customers and accepting returns.
• Gift Wrapping purchases if requested.
• Assisting in the ongoing promotion of all Garden Events.
• Demonstrating creativity around seasonal events e.g. Halloween, Christmas & Easter.
• Complying with the Health & Safety Statement requirements of the organisation and legislation
• Attending Staff Meetings as required
• To attend training as required
• Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners, services users and customers of Festina Lente
• To undertake any other reasonable duties which may be assigned to you by the Garden Manager
The job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the garden. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances or requirements.
Working hours may vary in accordance with the needs of the Garden Centre Shop and Gardens and
will be reviewed as necessary. Sunday working days will form part of this job description.
The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
• Have at least three years’ experience in shop retail
• Horticultural Certification (QQI or equivalent) – would be an advantage
• Work as part of a team fostering good working relationship with colleagues
• Have fluent English
• Have a full and clean Irish driving license.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to suit the needs of individual trainees, service users, staff members, and customers of Festina Lente
• An ability to maintain calm and composed in a busy and demanding environment
• Strong attention to detail
• Self-motivated and a team player
• An ability to work on your own initiative
• Innovative and creative
• Good organisational skills and patience
• Physical stamina
Conditions of employment:
Salary: In accordance with the current National Wage Agreement currently €9.80 per hour
Working Days: Saturday, Sunday and a half day Monday
Hours: 19.50 hours p.w. Sunday working hours will apply and will be paid at a premium of time and a third
Annual Leave: Annual Leave will be 20 working days (pro rata) exclusive of public holidays. Compulsory annual leave will be taken at Christmas each year.
Duration of contract: The contract is a permanent contract – subject to Pobal Funding. Please see below.
Location of the position: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow. Any change in location will notified to you in advance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday the 26th of May, 2019.
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Ann Gleeson at Gardens@festinalente.ie or phoning 01 272 0704 (ext. 210).
Application forms can be found on our website http://festinalente.ie/about-us/job-vacancies/festina-lente-job-vacancy-application-form/ .
Please email Catherine Buckley email@example.com if you have any queries.
Interviews will be held on Thursday the 30th of May, 2019
Please note: only candidates who submit the relevant application form in accordance with the deadline date as stated above will be processed. Only applications fulfilling the criteria as set down by Pobal will be entertained.
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description. A panel may be formed from this process Please note a second interview may be held.
For Your Information:
• The position advertised is funded through Pobal. Pobal administer and manage Government and EU funding to address disadvantage and support social inclusion.
• Evidence of your eligibility for this position as laid down in Pobal Guidelines must accompany your application. We particularly welcome applications from lone parents, Travellers and people with disabilities
Qualifying Criteria for all applicants applying for Pobal Funded Positions:
• Person in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB), Jobseeker’s Assistance (JA), one parent family payment (OPF) or the Jobseeker Transitional Payment
• Persons in receipt of disability allowance (DA), invalidity pension, blind persons pension or other disability benefit.
• Travellers in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Assistance or one parent family benefit.
• Stabilised and recovering drug mis‐users.
• People employed from Tús, Gateway, Community Employment (CE) and Job Initiatives (JI) schemes are deemed eligible but cannot simultaneously hold a CSP and Tús/Gateway/CE/JI/RSS position. Former RSS workers who were previously CE participants are also eligible.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society