Festina Lente Mission Statement
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment
opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and
community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are
provided through the following:
Equestrian Training Programme
Transition Training Programme
Festina Lente Riding School
Equine Assisted Learning
Equine Facilitated Education Programme
Therapeutic Riding Service
Saol Anois Day Service
Festina Lente Gardens
Festina Lente was established in 1988 and over the years has developed a wide range of equestrian related activities
to people of all ages, from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of learning styles. Central to this is the role of the
horse and its’ capacity to facilitate each person in their preferred activity or programme.
As such, Festina Lente has developed established approaches and techniques when working with all equines which
has been shaped largely by the work of Chris Irwin. All interactions (ridden and ground work, between staff,
trainees, volunteers and riders with equines) are shaped by Chris Irwin’s knowledge, understanding and empathy of
and with the horse.
Job Title: Equestrian Training Programme Student Supervisor
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: Yard Manager & Training & Day Service Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Main purpose: To work with the Festina Lente Riding School specifically the Equestrian Training Programme
Team in the delivery of an Equestrian Training Programme to people with disabilities and or dual
diagnosis and provide supervision and support for Yard activities.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
- To assist in implementing the Equestrian Training Programme, as outlined in the programme descriptor, in
- conjunction with the Equestrian Training Programme Staff and Training and Day Service Manager
- To assist in managing the delivery of the programme, including all yard based activities, QQI modules and other
- activities as set out in the programme timetable.
- To supervise, manage and support a team of learners on the equestrian yard ensuring the safety and welfare of
- learners and horses, while supervising a variety of stable and yard tasks
- To facilitate interactions with equines, employing a model of natural horsemanship, as supported by the
- approaches and techniques developed by Festina Lente
- To liaise with the Training and Day Service Manager in the monitoring and assurance of programme quality in
- order to apply consistently the quality assurance procedures set out by the SOLAS Training Standards System
- and as agreed with QQI
- To contribute towards the evaluation of the delivery of the training programme on an annual basis.To act as an advocate for learners involved in the programme
- To facilitate and evaluate person centred planning, in the form of individualised training plans
- To liaise with other organisations/professionals as required
- To liaise with the Riding School staff team to ensure the welfare of the horses
- To comply with the Health and Safety requirements of the organisation
- To attend staff meetings and training as required
- To build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners & service users
This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the
needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances or
Other Duties will include:
To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
PERSON SPECIFICATION: The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
Knowledge of BHS Stage 1 SM or equivalent i.e. QQI Horsemanship course
Experience of supervising and motivating people, ideally in an equestrian context
Has a good knowledge of the theory of stable and yard management
Enjoys the outdoor environment and be physically able and fit for the strenuous nature of the post
Has experience and skills in relation to the safe handling of horses.
Proven experience of working within a team structure and a strong ability to self manage in a dynamic
Committed to on-going self and professional development
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and specific personal attributes- please see description below.
Welcomes change and is committed to encouraging continuous improvement and learning.
Manages your own workload effectively while responding flexibly to new demands.
Has the capacity to integrate well with, and contribute to, an evolving organization
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to suit the needs
of individual learners
An ability to maintain calm and composed in a busy and demanding environment
An ability to multitask and adapt to change as a feature of the working day
High level of energy and an ability to sustain a very active role
Confidence in one’s own strengths and ability
Willingness to learn and an openness to alternative approaches
An ability to respond professionally and patiently to behaviours that challenge
Committed to working hard
Proven ability to work on own initiative within a flexible, co-operative team structure
Experience of delivering training to and supporting people with disabilities or those experiencing social and/or
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
€27,463 pro rata to part time hours
Duration of contract
The is a specified purpose contract
Annual leave will be 22 working days pro rata, exclusive of public holidays.
Compulsory annual leave will apply to facilitate administration of the academic term.
Annual Leave is taken during Easter, August and Christmas.
Monday 8am -4.30pm
Tuesday 8am – 1pm
Wednesday 8am – 1pm
Thursday 8am – 1pm
Friday 8am – 1pm
(26.5 hours total)
Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Travel & Subsistence
There may be a requirement to travel to work outside normal working hours.
Location of the position
Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be found on our website https://festinalente.ie/about-us__trashed/job-vacancies/festinalente-job-vacancy-application-form/
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Sabrina Tierney by phone 0879633348 or email
Closing Date for Applications Sunday 13th September 2020
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be
asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be
required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document.
A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 16th September 2020 and will include a face to face interview together with a
practical horse related assessment.
Please note that interviews will consist of a panel
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this
job description. A panel may be formed from this process.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of